Feature Story or Reportage: Friendships Are Formed Unexpectedly

  



            Nothing is greater when you get to have friends that accept who you are, support you in your greatest success and worse failures, and understand you, which helps you grow as a better person, and as a friend. True friends are always like that, they make you feel that way, and then leave you for many reasons. I was against the idea of the goodness of friendships, I’ve always seen relationships as good in the beginning but ended bitterly filled with hatred and judgment. I avoided people, afraid to experience being deceived by what people say about having friends. One of those people is Lisa, she always encourages me to have friends, where in if I try to be open to having one, they will exclude me. I do not understand people, they are all hypocrites, and that is why I never have friends. This mindset stayed in my head for some time now, ever since that unforgettable experience… I never tried even tried to seek love again. Not until I met three crazy ladies in a seminar-workshop.

It was the first day of school in 8th grade, and I was overwhelmed by how many people there is in the auditorium. Looking around I see a group of friends smiling and laughing. I wanted to leave but the seminar was about to start, so I stayed. Three jumpy and giggly, girls came by beside me. I tried to block them but failed, something tells me that I should let them sit beside me, so I discretely moved over, as if not trying to block them. They passed by, and my mind of peace being alone was clouded by irritation and uneasiness. I heard them murmuring about something, maybe it is about me, maybe they are judging me because of my appearance and my atmosphere.

It was an awkward situation, after hearing them I glared so coldly, I shut them up. I could feel the tension between us, maybe they feel intimidated and left me alone, but how can I do that? Well, I did not, but the speaker saved me. He arranged seats and brought the girls in front since they were very noisy, my mind tells me they deserve it. The speaker discussed tedious information, I could not understand, and I wondered when will this end. However, we were told to stand, and a feeling of relief filled me. It was finally over! – But it wasn’t it was group work, we were divided into groups, which I despise the most; and to make it worse I was grouped with the three girls earlier.

“Hey! Over here!” the girl with long hair waved at me. I avoided eye contact, my head was occupied with socializing thoughts I got anxious, I don’t want to do any of this, but I have no other choice. I sat down with them, and another girl with a ponytail asked me. “What’s your name?” she looked at me but looked away quickly. “I’m Elley, El for short,” I replied awkwardly. “Oohh, do you know that girl from Strange Things?” A girl with short hair asked me. “Yeah, I watched the series, people always say I give off, eleven vibes!”  spontaneously replying out of my character. The girls looked at me, I thought they will call out my unexpected behavior, but they seem too quiet now, knowing that I told them something that a nerd would watch. This is the way I never talk to people, I avoid interactions, or making friends, because people are judgmental, and nothing but heartless beings who will see you differently if you don’t relate to them – “Which episode are you on? I’m like watching it again”.  It turns out I was wrong, I’m overdramatic and exaggerate things quickly, these people are interested in me, so maybe I’ll give these three girls a chance.

I and the girls talked for 20 minutes. What felt like minutes, feels like an hour, we talked about many interesting topics, we cried laughing at each other, and we just enjoyed the moment. It turns out people are ok to be friends with. Maybe the people I met before weren’t meant for me, but because of this random interaction, I was able to know that these people could be my friends. If I did not interact with them, maybe I would lose that chance. But now, I see these girls as new friends, because of that little conversation, we were able to get to know each other, it signifies that we felt a connection. And that connection made me experience moments with friends again. But this time, I won’t make the same mistakes I did before. I learned from many failures, and try to improve because of them, and maybe I could give myself a second chance to be in a circle of friends once again.

 

From strangers to close friends, moments were created, and bonds were deepened. Friendship also defines love; it is also worth looking at and trying for. People would often find love in a romantic concept, but love is much more than that. Love can also be seen in friendship, and it is expressed through understanding, trust, and care for each other. But love is the fruit of friendship, and the seed is the common interests that brought you and your friends together. The more you relate to that person the more interesting they become, and as your friendship grows, you discover new facts about them, their true personalities, their behaviors, and secrets that only you and your friends know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Piece Showcase: Jibaro